Ecommerce: Building online trust before customers click over to your competitors’ sites
All marketing is built on trust. Without trust, customers won’t subscribe to your email. They won’t open. They won’t click. And they certainly won’t buy.
Keeping this in mind, I interviewed Craig Spiezle, Executive Director and President, Online Trust Alliance, about security, privacy and consumer protection. I’ve also and provided tips on how you can build trust with your customers.
“Privacy policies were written by attorneys, for attorneys,” Craig joked. “And you need three attorneys to figure them out. It’s a great job enhancement thing for the legal profession. It does nothing for consumers.”
He also discussed:
- What you can learn from the top 10 websites when it comes to building online trust (from 500 ecommerce sites, 100 banks, 50 social media and 50 news and media sites reviewed by an algorithm with 50 data points)
- Why trust and security are an operational discipline, not just a technical issue
- The need to be more transparent in privacy policies
- Having phone scripts ready for customer service in case you have a data breach
- Moving from a compliance perspective (what do we have to do?) to a stewardship model (what do customers expect?)
You might also like